5 Methods for Eliminating Smoke Odor
Environmental tobacco smoke contains over 4,000 compounds including ammonia gases, carbon monoxide, phenol, and tar vapors. Tobacco residue is more stubborn than smoke damage that results from a house fire. Here are four smoke cleaning methods for eliminating all traces of cigarette smoke odor.
1. Clean, degrease, and seal: Over time, the tar in tobacco builds up a residue that can discolor any surface. Clean hard non-porous materials with a dry cleaning sponge or degreasing cleaner. Once a surface has completely dried, use a shellac primer to seal in cigarette smells and stains and prevent them from surfacing through new paint.
2. Scrub the air: Use an industrial air scrubber to circulate and remove smoke odors from the air in your home.
3. Thermal fogging: Fogging machines neutralize smoke molecules with petroleum distillates. Close doors and windows for at least thirty minutes. Workers should wear respirators rated for chemical-based smoke cleaning. Match the fogger and concentration to the volume of the interior space.
4. Hydroxyl generators: These generators use UV light to produce hydroxyl radicals, the neutral form of the hydroxide ion, which destroys cigarette odors at the source. Operating a hydroxyl generator continuously for three to five days achieves an effect comparable to what an ozone generator can achieve in a single day, but there is no need to evacuate.
5. Ozone generators: Ozone follows the same path as smoke molecules and oxidizes fumes and residues that adhere to surfaces. This method is ideal for lower temperatures and relative humidity levels. Ozone generators are efficient, but require the evacuation of residents, pets, and plants during the treatment.
Smoke cleaning is a process that may involve several steps and machines. If you are dealing with smoke contamination in your residence in Houston, TX, contact a smoke odor remediation service to determine the right odor treatment options for your needs. For more information, visit http://www.SERVPROtowncountry.com/.