Houston Home Health: Getting Rid of Mold and Mildew in Your Home
When you step inside your home after a long day, is the first thing you smell mildew or mold? If so, it is time to take action. The health of your family and the structure of your home is at serious risk if mold cleanup is not done promptly. With our warm and humid climate, mold spores multiply exponentially, in a very short period. While small outbreaks in bathrooms can be treated effectively with proper cleansing, when there is mold present in the drywall, professional mold removal service in Memorial and surrounding areas is required.
Bathrooms are particularly at risk for mold growth. The first signs are typically found in and around the shower and bathtub. Look for dark green or black discoloration on the caulking. At the first sign, cleanse thoroughly with a bleach-based cleaner to kill the spores before they spread. Mold spores travel through the air, so it is typical to have mold in more than one location. Examine other areas including around the base of the toilet, the ceiling, and sniff the air for any signs of a mildew odor in the linen closet. Clean hard surfaces with a bleach-based cleanser as mentioned above, and wash fabrics according to manufacturer instructions. To keep mold from coming back, increase air circulation by opening a window or using the exhaust fan during and after showers and baths.
Laundry rooms, kitchens, garages, basements, attics, and mudrooms are all at risk for developing mold, especially after water damage in Memorial. Keep an eye out for discolorations in the drywall in these areas. If an outbreak of mold on drywall has grown beyond the size of a saucer, it is time to call the professionals. Chances are that the mold is in more areas than you are aware of. Air quality needs to be tested, and the mold damage remediated as quickly as possible to prevent serious health conditions from developing.
While our climate contributes significantly to mold growth, it is imperative that you track down the cause of the mold. Is there a leaky pipe behind the wall or under a sink? Is the roof leaking into the insulation causing mold to develop in an area you cannot see? Has water been seeping through the foundation after a heavy rain? These are all possibilities, and your SERVPRO of Houston and Memorial can help track down the cause, and then remediate the damage properly.
It is ideal to keep your home’s humidity levels at 50% or below, year round and this can be difficult with our climate. However, portable and whole-home humidifiers can make a substantial difference. SERVPRO of Town and Country stands at the ready for mold cleanup, after damage caused by a storm, fire, or water damage to make sure your home is safe for you, your family, and friends. We are available 24 hours a day; please don’t hesitate to call us. The quicker we are on the scene, the quicker you can return to normal life.