If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (713) 461-2700

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Why You Shouldn’t Rely on Bleach for Mold Cleanup

2/21/2018 (Permalink)

If you’re like most households, you use bleach as your remedy of choice for tough jobs. From scrubbing the bathtub free of iron stains to cleaning up mold, the harsh chemical may seem to be able to do it all. However, though the cleaning supply can handle a number of situations, the Houston, TX, mold remediation team says that you shouldn’t rely on it for fungus cleanup, and here’s why:

• In many instances, the chemical encourages toxic mold growth on surfaces where it wasn’t present before.
• The cleaning solution only removes stains; it doesn’t kill the root system.
• The chemical is actually extremely harmful to many surfaces.
• When mixed with ammonia (as it often is), bleach can create a deadly gas.
• The chemical releases known cancer-causing agents.
• Chlorine has been known to make mold problems worse in the long run.


What Is Mold, and How Does It Work?


To better understand why chlorine should not be used to cleanup mold, you need to first understand what mold is and how it works. Mold is a fungus that is neither plant nor animal, which means that unlike plants and animals, it doesn’t need ideal conditions to thrive. In fact, it only comes with three requirements: water, warmth and a host. Once given all three, it can spread quickly, making the chore of fungus cleanup all the more difficult.


Does Chlorine Destroy Mold?


Yes and no. Bleach is only effective on hard, nonporous surfaces. It can work wonders on tile or glass, but mold doesn’t tend to grow on those types of surfaces, as the fungus needs a porous surface to sink its roots into. Chances are, if you have mold, you need to use a mold cleanup method that reaches deep into the surface and destroys the mold’s roots, which chlorine cannot do.

There is another reason bleach is ineffective for fungus cleanup: Household bleach is 90 percent water, and mold loves water. Though the chemical components of the cleaning solution stay on the surface, the water sinks in, giving mold the food source it needs to thrive.

For more information, visit http://www.SERVPROtowncountry.com.

Other News

View Recent Posts